Top Ten Changes
Many life changes have taken place since we’ve moved to Charleston. A big one being that we’re 1st time homeowners! Another being that we live approximately 900 miles from our closest family and friends. That change is rather large, as well! Any-who, lots of little (and not so obvious) changes have taken place in the past 8 months, as well. Here are the top ten things that have changed in my daily life due to the big move (I’ll try not to have all ten relate to the weather!)…
[In no particular order]
1. I am incapable of leaving our house without making our bed. This never used to be a problem for me (right, Mom and Dad – you remember?). But ever since our bed is in our house that we OWN, I get the shakes as the clock reads closer and closer to
7:20am 7:30am. It needs to get done, it just does! Now the (mostly clean) dishes in and around the sink? That’s a different story!
2. I am a coffee-aholic. Well, those who know me know it’s not really coffee that I drink. It’s iced lattes. So I guess I’m an espresso-aholic. I’ve always loved the stuff, but now it’s necessary on the daily. Oh well, there are worse habits (Another item with a palm tree on it, a birthday gift from Jen!)
3. I’m more Facebook obsessed than ever. Being so far from my original home has caused me to obsessively check Facebook to see what everyone is up to. Okay maybe I did that before, but it’s way worse now. Ask the husband. Complain all ya want about FB’s downsides, there are many upsides when you’ve freshly moved away! Thank you, Mark Zuckerberg.
4. I think of an excuse to get Chick-fil-A for dinner every single night. As y’all know, I had never even heard of Chick-fil-A before our move to Charleston. Read this and then this to refresh your memory. I try to convince myself that I deserve it and that if I just get the Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich (with as many Chick-fil-A sauces as I can secure) without the fries that it’s not so bad. But, then I remember that the fries are not just ordinary fries but waffle fries. They’re on the same level as the sandwich and thereby deserve the same kind of respect. Ugh, SO good but SO bad!
5. I no longer hate November, December, January, February, or March! Relax – I could’ve made these changes 5 of my top 10! The weather is definitely a positive change in my everyday life!
6. I am making new friends. Sounds silly, but when you’ve lived somewhere for a long time (your whole life) and settle into a life and job (ha! as if I settled into a job in NY!), it’s not something that you need to do often. If it happens, it happens – but no sweat. When you move away from everyone that you know, it’s something that you have to work at. Luckily, I have made a few great friends so far that I can be myself around. Don’t worry Mom and Dad, it’ll be even easier for you guys! (I’m tempted to break out into that old Girl Scouts “make new friends…” song, but I’ll fight it.)
7. Having THE BEACH on the list of possibilities any day of the week is quite the welcome change. It’s only a 12 mile drive to my happy place. The ocean breeze, sand on my toes, and clap of baby waves can undo the day’s stressors, no problem.
8. I’m obsessed with palm trees…so much that we now have one in our front yard. I know, I’ve already covered this. (Dan – I’m not calling them Palmetto trees, so just get over it!)
9. I wear flip flops year round. I know it’s another weather reference, but it’s true! Okay, maybe not in December or January. But, I don’t have to store them away in the closet for 6 months or one month or ever. Same goes for sunglasses. The sun makes an appearance here in Charleston year round. NY – take note…people like the sun.
[insert generic picture of flip flops here – I’m too lazy to go take a picture of a pair!]
10. I ♥ BLOGGING! I’ve always loved to write and now I have my outlet. Like it and read it or hate it and don’t. No one’s twisting your arm. But really, it’s no fun without readers – so give me a chance!!!